About this opportunity
Volunteer West is advertising this position on behalf of Fareshare.
FareShare operates Australia’s largest charity kitchens in Melbourne and Brisbane where our chefs and volunteers work hand in hand to cook the best possible meal for every person. Our healthy, delicious meals are given away free to front line charities such as soup vans, homeless shelters, women’s refuges and community food banks. In Melbourne our logistics hub is our super warehouse in Derrimut, where we have some immediate opportunities for volunteer drivers.
Our volunteer drivers typically pick up a FareShare van from our Derrimut warehouse and head out
- to pick up key ingredients from our kitchen, including harvested vegetables from our kitchen gardens, or
- to deliver our meals to charities so they can provide them to people in their communities who are facing hardship.
Most of the runs are in metropolitan Melbourne on weekdays and are 3-4 hours in duration. Shift and starting times vary – but are generally in the mornings.
There are a handful of weekday morning runs each month that deliver meals to regional hubs in Ballarat, Bendigo and Shepparton.
These opportunities are all on weekdays - there is no weekend driving volunteering available.
You need to hold a current full automatic driver’s licence – you do not need an endorsed licence.
Volunteer tasks will vary but may include the following (training and support will be provided)
- Picking up and dropping off from locations including small businesses, residences, and large warehouses
- Driving with heavy loads
- Loading and unloading crates from vans by hand
- Visiting large warehouses where the van may be loaded/unloaded by forklifts
- Cleaning cabins and load compartment before and after driving
- Liaising with suppliers
- Using iPad for directions and job lists
- Stacking crates and boxes on pallets
- Wrapping pallets
- Using pallet jacks and trolleys
Capabilities required for driving volunteers
- Have excellent spatial awareness and good vision
- Competent to drive large vehicles carrying heavy loads. Experience strongly preferred.
- Safe driving record
- Be free of bad back or mobility issues
- Able to be climb into cabin and load compartment many times per shift
- Able to lift 10-15kg
- Able to repeatedly bend, squat and crouch.
Shifts are generally 3-4 hours in duration in metro areas. Driving runs to regional hubs could be up to 6 hours in duration.
Following training, you will join our crew of regular volunteer drivers. Each month you can nominate for runs available in the following month. You could decide to do a driving shift as often as once or twice a month or once or twice a week, whatever you prefer or are available for.
We will ask you to sign a volunteer agreement (code of conduct) and also complete an online food safety training course (about one hour in duration)
Benefits volunteers will get from this role?
You will find this role varied and rewarding – supporting FareShare’s mission of reducing food waste and diverting surplus food to cooking meals for other charities to provide to so many people who struggle to access/ prepare food for themselves and their families.
Driver's Licence (C) . Heavy Lifting .