About this opportunity
Are you looking for a volunteer opportunity to apply your highly developed understanding of the emergency relief sector, empathy and understanding to serve disadvantaged people in your community? The Salvation Army Doorways program provides support to clients in urgent crisis. Assistance provided includes food vouchers, food parcels, budgeting assistance, NILS (interest-free loans) or help with paying bills. Clients are engaged Intensive ER, Casework or referred to Financial Counselling and other services where deeper issues are present.
The Salvation Army Community Support Service, in Launceston TAS is seeking compassionate volunteers to help to provide immediate assistance to those experiencing hardship and crisis. This important role is ideal for those who are organised and confident in dealing with people, providing support and guidance in their time of significant need. You will have direct client contact through interview assessments and assisting clients within program resources.
This is an opportunity to volunteer and be part of a great, positive, encouraging team, who genuinely care about one another and people in the community. In this role you have the opportunity to meet and assist people in our community who come from various ages, cultural backgrounds and experiences and gain experience in a frontline role, within a supportive work place.
There is reward in helping people in need and having gratitude expressed from people in the community and also from the team here at The Salvation Army. Support is provided in an informal and formal manner from both Team Leader and our supportive team.
Key Tasks Of The Role Include:
- Interview clients, maintain appropriate records and refer to appropriate personnel, whilst respecting client boundaries.
- Maintain privacy of the clients.
- Maintain appropriate case notes through clear, concise and factual records of conversations.
- Record required statistical information.
- Maintain strict confidentiality in regard to client information. All hard copies are to be stored in approved, secure location.
- Undertake general office duties including responding to or redirecting emails, answering telephone and walk in enquiries as required.
- Assisting site Manager/Supervisor with other tasks as directed.
- Provide quality customer service and meet client needs, maintaining a professional image of the service at all times.
- Maintain petty cash, process payments.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements for the Position:
- Experience in community services/social work/finance support related roles and/or qualifications highly regarded.
- Administration, use of Microsoft Word and Excel and customer service preferred.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
Required For The Position:
- Complete The Salvation Army (TSA) Mission Volunteer registration, induction and training - TSA is a ChildSafe workplace.
- Integrity checks - National Police Check and Working With Children/Vulnerable People Check - as required for the role.
- As negotiated with the Manager.
- Please advise your availability in your response.
A role profile for this volunteer position is available upon request and will also be provided to the successful applicant during the interview process.
The Salvation Army is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.