About this opportunity
Story Factory is a creative writing centre that delivers workshops with a focus on storytelling and expression. Our workshops are led by our trained educators (Storytellers) with the support of our volunteer tutors.
We are on the lookout for creative writing tutors for our online workshops. These workshops take place after-school and reach primary school students across NSW that are passionate about creative writing.
**Volunteer role **
As a volunteer tutor, you’ll be working in pairs with another volunteer in breakout rooms to assist a group of around 6 - 10 young people at a time on writing a piece of work as directed by the Storyteller.
We’re after volunteers who are patient, kind, have a sense of humour and imagination, and proficiency with the English language, and can create a safe space for our students to feel confident to be creative. We do NOT require you to have teaching or writing experience (although that's great if you do).
Because of the online nature of this program, we need our volunteer tutors to also be:
- Confident with technology: in particular with Zoom, Zoom chat, sharing screen and using Google docs, all at once
- Fast typers (as volunteers may be required to scribe quickly for students)
- Comfortable co-facilitating and leading discussions and conversations on camera and voice-chat with anywhere between 6 - 10 students in breakout rooms
Volunteers will be working in pairs, so you don't need to be absolutely amazing with all the above three items, but would need to be fairly confident juggling the technology aspects of the program along with supporting students on screen/via chat.
If you are interested in becoming an online creative writing tutor:
- Attend our online information session (1 hour)
- Complete an application form and provide us with a NSW Working with Children’s Check and a National Police Check (we can support you to obtain a National Police Check)
- Participate in our online training session (2 x 2 hours)
Once you’ve completed the above 3 steps you’ll be primed and ready to be an amazing online creative writing tutor with Story Factory!
Read more: storyfactory.org.au
NOTE: We are only able to accept volunteers who have, or able to obtain a NSW Working with Children's Check.
National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.
These online workshops currently take place on Monday and Thursday afternoons, from 3pm - 5:30pm, for the duration of the school term. We ask our volunteers to attend for the full 8 week program, as this helps build rapport and trust with the students.Suitable for
- Online & Remote Volunteers
- Education & Training
- Tutoring & Coaching
Volunteers will be required to attend 2 x 2 hours of training online ahead of starting.