About this opportunity
Citizens' Climate Lobby Australia
CCLA is a grassroots education and advocacy, non-profit organisation focused on accelerating solutions to climate change through democracy.
As a non-partisan and volunteer-driven organisation, we have local Chapters across the country that write to, meet and talk with politicians, citizens, community leaders, business leaders and media, from across the political spectrum.
We work towards the adoption of fair, effective, and sustainable solutions that will reduce greenhouse gas emissions as well as drive the transition towards a clean energy future for Australia.
Our vision is to inspire Australia to be a leader in a global race addressing climate change for a liveable world.
Dr. James Hansen, NASA Climate Scientist (1967 – 2013) and Advisor to the White House (1988 – 2007) said: “Most impressive is the work of the Citizens' Climate Lobby, [a relatively new], fast growing, non-partisan, non-profit group. If you want to join the fight to save the planet, to save creation for your grandchildren, there is no more effective step you could take than becoming an active member of this group.”
Be part of the Media Team:
The Media Team is responsible for supporting CCL’s political strategy (including identified campaign/s) through social and traditional media generation. Specifically: Communications external to CCL, including social media channels, youtube, media releases, letters and articles. Develop training content on media generation for volunteers to be delivered by the training team. Media monitoring and sharing with supporters. Support campaigns teams with relevant media exposure. Develop strategy and design appropriate content for all CCL media channels Develop and monitor guidelines for social media and traditional media to ensure communications are aligned with CCL values
The Media Team Leader will be responsible for:
- Engaging, coordinating and inspiring the team members who support each of our media channels.
- Learning about the operations of CCLA, liaising with other key CCLA functions, and keeping abreast of the organisation’s strategies and media needs.
- Developing and implementing new media strategies.
- Ensuring appropriate use of our media channels, tools and systems.
- Providing general support and performing other related tasks as required, contributing to the success of CCLA.
To succeed in this role, you should have:
- Desire to be part of an organisation focused on climate change solutions.
- Positive, “can do” attitude with a willingness to work within a team of passionate volunteers.
- Strong team leadership skills.
- Passion about working collaboratively and communicating with empathy and enthusiasm.
- Openness to learning and trying new things.
- Good communication skills
- Organised and methodical approach.
- Reasonable level of computer and internet literacy and facilities.
- Accountable and consistent approach in making, tracking, and meeting appropriate commitments, at a steady pace.
- Ability to troubleshoot on the fly and strive for excellence.
- Willingness to become familiar and conversant with CCLA’s resources, training, and tools, relevant to this role.
Bonus points for:
- Formal qualifications in Media or related disciplines.
- Experience in climate campaigning or advocacy.
- Experience in getting the most from all the various forms of media communication.
- If even a couple of these criteria speak to you, you could be the perfect person for the role. Formal education, qualifications and extensive experience matter less to us than excellence, initiative, and drive.
- We encourage applicants from a diversity of genders, cultures, languages, abilities, and experiences.
- Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis. Please apply ASAP to avoid missing out.
Whilst this role is flexible, we are looking for volunteers who can commit beyond 6 months and preferably a reasonable amount of time to dedicate (at least 8 hours/week). We're an effective and ambitious organisation, and we're confident you'll be able to make a difference with us.
- Online & Remote Volunteers
- Skilled Volunteers
- IT & Web Development
- Marketing, Media & Communications
- Tutoring & Coaching
- Writing & Editing
Citizens' Climate Lobby Australia is an educational and advocacy organisation. We train, educate and provide the tools for our volunteers to become effective advocates for climate action.