About this opportunity
Do you want to help in the rescue of native animals, while working with a dedicated team of volunteers across Australia? We want to hear from you!
We are currently seeking skilled individuals nation-wide, who have experience in helping native animals in need, to carry out the role of a Phone Coordinator.
Wildlife Rescue Inc (WRI) is a not-for-profit voluntary association, operating throughout Australia and staffed exclusively by home-based volunteers. It is dedicated to the rescue of Australian native animals, including birds and reptiles. WRI operates throughout Australia under the registered name Wildlife Rescue Australia, and operates a national 24/7 emergency call centre for the rescue of native wildlife.
About the role:
This opportunity is ongoing, with multiple positions available, and can be completely carried out remotely/from home. Our Phone Coordinators are considered the most important volunteers within WRI, and contribute to ensuring the rescue and welfare of our beautiful native animals.
With the support of the Call Centre Manager, other Phone Coordinators and Volunteers, you will play a key role in directing carers or rescuers across Australia to assist/collect wildlife at risk, or with injuries, and providing accurate advice to callers.
- take phone calls from members of the public or organisations requesting help with native animals in need,
- evaluate the need for assistance and advise the caller how to proceed,
- if required, contact potential rescuers, wildlife carers or vet clinics or other specialised people to organise rescue and care for the animal.
All WRI phone coordinators are home-based phone coordinators and use professionally-written computer software to locate potential rescuers etc. All software required for the role is supplied by Wildlife Rescue, free of charge, with training and support provided.
Skills and experience needed:
The role of Phone Coordinator requires exceptional communication skills and access to a desktop or laptop computer. Ideally, you will have:
- Experience in and passion for wildlife or native animals, and animal welfare (experience in native animal rescue or care is preferred due to the crucial nature of this role).
- Customer service experience, or similar, with strong written and verbal communication skills (experience in a similar role or volunteer position would be beneficial)
- Experience working within a team environment with good organisational abilities
- Strong problem solving and negotiation skills, and attention to detail.
- Access to a working computer/laptop and internet and phone access, with a sufficiently fast internet speed
- Ability to volunteer in an ongoing capacity, and work on a roster with other Phone Coordinators (availability can be discussed)
All applicants must be aged minimum 18 years or over.
If you are looking to use your skills, knowledge or passion for animals to support a reputable organisation, and make a real difference to the rescue and care of our precious wildlife, please apply now.
Once you have applied, you will be contacted by the Membership Officer to progress your application – you may be asked to provide a current resume or summary of your experience. This is an ongoing opportunity.
Please visit www.wildliferescue.net.au for more information on the organisation, or to direct any queries regarding this volunteer opportunity.
Phone Coordinators will be allocated 'shifts' by the Roster Manager; shifts may potentially be up to 4 hours, but times and availability can be discussed upon application.Suitable for
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Online & Remote Volunteers
- People with disability
- Skilled Volunteers
- Travelling Volunteers
- Counselling & Help Line
- Working with Animals
There is no reimbursement for this position, and it will not lead to a paid role in the future; all members of WRI are volunteers only.