About this opportunity
Multiple Sclerosis is funded to provide a volunteer visiting program – the community Visitors Scheme (CVS). Volunteer visitors typically share stories, go for a stroll or have a cuppa, listen to music or play a game. At this time, our volunteer visitors engage virtual visits including phone calls, letters or video visits. Our volunteers play a vital role in the life of a person living in an aged care home through ongoing friendship.
We have a 95-year-old lady born in the Ukraine who would greatly benefit from social support visits. Our dear recipient converses in Polish and used to work on a farm and as a housemaid. She enjoys music, observing children and would greatly enjoy a visitor who is happy to chat in Polish.
You need to be warm, caring, reliable and willing to commit to at least fortnightly virtual visits for a minimum of 12 months. Ideally, virtual visits will develop to face to face visits at a later stage however this is not a requirement.
Good English communication skills are desirable and fluent communication in Polish is required.
MS Community Visitors Scheme (ACT)
MS are actively seeking referrals for anyone living in an aged care home who is experiencing social isolation and loneliness. We have several volunteers who are willing to connect with your loved one. Individuals, friends and family can refer recipients to our program via our website and searching 'CVS'.
National Police Certificate *.
- Face to face and conference call interviews available
- Provision of certified ID documents by email for National Police Check, for example Drivers Licence, Passport, Medicare Card and a Bank Card (other forms of ID accepted)
- Willingness to provide evidence of flu vaccination
- Referee check conducted by organisation
- Working With Vulnerable People registration as per ACT Government's requirements (registration for volunteers is free via Access Canberra)
Weekly virtual visits by mutual arrangement of letter, phone or video would be beneficial, for a minimum of 12 months.Suitable for
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Families with Children
- People Learning English
- Companionship & Social Support
- Seniors & Aged Care
Induction Training and optional training offered each year.Reimbursement
Capped mileage reimbursement if required for face to face visits only. Flu vaccination capped reimbursement per visitor.