About this opportunity
Please note: we have an application process which includes completing an application form and induction that need to be complete before starting volunteering for us. The link to start the application process can be found on GAP's website under the volunteering tab.
What is required?
- Community Engagement volunteers can sign up to attend event shifts in areas and times that suit them and their availability. Shifts are generally 2 hours each so greyhounds don’t get tired!
- New volunteers need to attend a face-to-face induction and training session at GAP. These sessions are 3 hours long and volunteers can sign up for the next session that suits their availability.
- You must own a GAP greyhound
- Your GAP dog must be an appropriate temperament for chilling out at busy events and getting lots of pats from children and visitors. Some of the events we attend also have other dogs walking by.
- Our Community Engagement volunteers are super reliable, punctual, and are great at chatting to event visitors and answering questions about GAP.
What events do you attend?
- Volunteers may choose which events to sign up for on the volunteering portal. Throughout the year, we attend many industry events (at the thirteen Greyhound Racing Clubs throughout Victoria), agricultural shows (like the Royal Melbourne Show), pet expos, volunteering expos, and community festivals.
- Volunteers may also sign up to help handle Greyhounds at our regular adoption days held around Victoria.
- Our new GAP café, also has opportunities to volunteer at. Community Engagement volunteers can attend shifts at the café with their dog, and chat with visitors about Greyhounds over coffee (what a great way to volunteer!?).
Driver's Licence (C) . Medical Check *. National Police Certificate *.
We will ask for a police check at some stage while you're volunteering with us. Medical check is upon request only.
The time commitment for our Community Engagement Volunteers is flexible and depends on the number of events available and what you want to volunteer for. We have many promotional events available through the year and you can sign up to as many or as little as you wish. We just ask that you attend at least one event per year.Suitable for
- Families with Children
- Fundraising & Events
- Marketing, Media & Communications
- Retail & Sales
- Working with Animals
We have an initial volunteer induction that all volunteers must attend prior to starting volunteering with us. From there we have training throughout the year for specifics of the role.Reimbursement
GAP will reimburse parking at certain events.