About this opportunity
A Community Visitor provides regular one to one volunteer visits to a designated resident who is socially and/or culturally isolated, in an aged care facility or on a home care package across the Territory - Darwin, Palmerston, Katherine, Tennant Creek and Alice Springs. This may include simple visits or outings to reconnect the resident with the wider community. Providing this regular link with the person’s community aims to provide friendship and enrich quality of life.
- National Police Check
- Working with Children Check
- Commitment to building and sustaining a friendship with an older, isolated person
- Empathy for and understanding of older people
- Reliability and flexibility
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Accountability to auspice.
National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.
* During the Covid-19 pandemics, organisations should be providing all necessary Covid-19 safety protection measures for volunteers following the advice of both the Sate or Territory Governments and the Federal Government. Your safety and wellbeing is your priority. Familiarise yourself with the most up-to-date requirements and advice from the Australian and NT and SA State Governments.
* As each organisation provides different levels/types of insurance, volunteers are reminded to check with the organisation as to the type of insurance provided for volunteers (e.g. Volunteer Personal Accident Insurance).
* Best practice volunteer involvement recommends that a volunteer role should not be more than 15-16 hours per week.
- Groups of 10 or more
- Wheelchair Access
- Younger volunteers, aged 14-18
- Companionship & Social Support
- Seniors & Aged Care
Induction, ongoing training in relevant subjects.