About this opportunity
DIVRS’ Urban Food Program (UFP) focuses on projects and initiatives designed to address the challenges of food insecurity in Darebin.
The purpose of this role is to create a more sustainable community by re-localizing food production, distribution and consumption. To provide fresh food for DIVRS’ emergency relief packages.
National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Propagate and plant out edible seedlings and herbs
• Harvest fresh vegetables and improve soil conditioning
• Work with compost, organic fertilizers and pesticides
• Assist with general maintenance
• Follow written instructions and engage with Urban Food Garden Leader/Coordinator to complete all tasks set out for the day
• To follow established administrative organisation procedures as per organisations and projects requirements, including updating all gardens activities online using QR codes
• Help with evaluation of the project through accurate recording of fruit/vegetable production
• Horticulture/Permaculture qualifications and experience highly desirable
The position is on a voluntary basis. · You are expected to assist a minimum of one 3 hour shift per week. Longer shifts may be required from time to time and the Urban Food Coordinator will advise as required. · Generally shifts in the DIVRS Backyard are from 08:30-11:30am Monday/Thursday. Shifts at Melbourne Farmer’s Markets and Newton St Garden will need to be negotiated to suit other programs that may be running. · The term of this volunteer position is subject to performance and the neeSuitable for
- Centrelink Volunteers
- People Learning English
- People with disability
- Skilled Volunteers
- Work Experience
- Companionship & Social Support
- Garden Maintenance
Training and Appraisal: • All volunteers must attend at least one training session per year as organ