About Specialist Palliative Care Service North
Palliative care encompasses the physical and psychological aspects of end of life care. The focus of the care is on achieving comfort and maximizing quality of life for the patient, family and loved ones. Palliative care is appropriate for any patient at any stage of a life limiting illness, regardless of age.
- Pain and other symptom management;
- Social, psychological, cultural, emotional and spiritual support;
- Caregiver and family support; and
- Bereavement support.
The THS palliative care services provides specialist palliative care to clients/patients and their families and carers.
Specialist Palliative Care services across the state include:
- Community-based multidisciplinary teams in Hobart, Launceston and Burnie, which provide an outreach service to rural areas;
- An in-patient unit in Hobart, the J.W. Whittle Palliative Care Unit;
- Dedicated public palliative care inpatient beds at Calvary Health Care's Melwood Unit, St Luke's Campus, Launceston; and
- Consultancy services within the Royal Hobart Hospital, Launceston General Hospital and North West Regional Hospital and Mersey Community Hospital campuses.
33-39 Howick Street
Launceston TAS 7250