About this opportunity
The Reconnect: Engagement and Learning Support Program encourages early school leavers and long-term unemployed young people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to engage in vocational education and training.
The role of the Youth Mentor Volunteer, will be to provide ongoing, individual support to their matched mentee throughout their involvement in the program.
• Provide ongoing encouragement and support to the mentee as they participate in the Reconnect program
• Work in collaboration with the Manager, Reconnect program to support the mentee in identifying a learning pathway plan
• To assist mentee in identifying, and building upon their own strengths, including intangible skills such as problem solving, and self-esteem and confidence
• Maintain regular contact with the Manager, Reconnect program to report on individual mentee activity and outcomes. Minimum commitment of 12 months required
Knowledge and Skills:
• Genuine desire to make a positive difference in a young person’s life
• An understanding of and empathy with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, both face to face and by phone.
• Understanding of and commitment to cultural diversity.
• A non-judgemental attitude.
• Ability to self-motivate and use initiative to assist others
• Formal qualifications are not required.
• Understanding the principles of a mentoring relationship, while desirable, is not required.
• Proficiency in another language(s), while desirable, is not required.
Other Relevant Information:
• The Dress Code must be neat casual and culturally appropriate.
• A minimum commitment of 1 hour per week at a time negotiated between the mentor and mentee
• Volunteer opportunities are subject to the needs of the program, completion of satisfactory interview and police checks and working with children checks, attendance at the required training program and satisfactory performance and conduct.
The Youth Mentor Volunteer is an exciting opportunity for someone who is passionate about empowering young people and supporting them to achieve their full potential. This role is available in Hume, Greater Dandenong and Brimbank
If you would like more information or would like to speak to someone in regards to this role, please contact Nada Jaza on (03) 9926 4744
Crimcheck done at no cost to the volunteer
Minimum commitment of 1 hour per week for a period of 12 monthsInterested in
- Tutoring and Mentoring
Training and Ongoing support providedReimbursement