About this opportunity
Heart Foundation Walking is Australia’s largest FREE walking network. It is a social, fun and easy way for people to walk and be active.
With more than one in four Australian adults (5.76 million people) doing very little or no exercise at all, Heart Foundation Walking is a great way to help people increase their physical activity.
Heart Foundation Walking is designed to help people enjoy regular physical activity. Although we encourage everyone to walk on a regular basis, we’ve designed Heart Foundation Walking to be a group program because walking in an organised group gives extra benefits.
Over the past 21 years more than 80,000 Australians have participated in a Heart Foundation Walking group.
Walk Organisers are community members who volunteer to lead their walking group in their neighbourhood or workplace. They do not need to be health professionals or have specific health or physical activity qualifications. They will receive online training and support from their Local Coordinator.
The roles and responsibilities of a Walk Organiser are outlined below:
- Complete basic online training (approx. 40 minutes)
- Plan the walking routes
- Promote their walk with the assistance of their Local Coordinator and the Heart Foundation
- Enter monthly attendance logs on the online system
- Attend walks and welcome new walkers
What support do Walk Organisers get?
- Online training
- Free merchandise
- Walker recognition scheme which rewards and acknowledges walking milestones
- Insurance cover
- Free resources to promote the group
- Companionship and Social Support
- Fundraising and Events
- Sport and Physical Activities