About this opportunity
Special Olympics Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that provides regular sports training, competition opportunities and development programs for people with an intellectual disability across Australia.
We are currently seeking a Coach to assist with supporting our Sports programs across ACT. The position will help with conducting practices, motivating and encouraging athletes and support ongoing skill development.
The aim of the role is to enhance the development of athletes at all levels of ability across the full range of skills and techniques to support them in achieving their goals. You will have responsibility for developing and facilitating a comprehensive coaching program that will engage participants and challenge them to realise their potential.The role will provide a supportive and encouraging environment for all athletes as well as providing general administrative support to ensure the smooth running of the training sessions.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience in coaching and is comfortable working with athletes with an intellectual disability.
Competencies / Skills required:
• Excellent organisational and communication skills
• Ability to be flexible and to improvise when needed
• Ability to inspire and motivate others to believe in the Special Olympics Mission
• Ability to work within set boundaries
• Well-developed interpersonal skills
• Understanding of relevant WH&S requirements
• Good time management skills
Experience / Education Required:
• Level 1 Coaching Accreditation
• Has experience as a coach and/or competitor
• Previous coaching experience for athletes with intellectual disability
• Knowledge of Special Olympics Australia and programs
Minimum 1 year
Approximately 2-3 hours per week
Must be available evenings and occasional weekends.
Special Olympics Australia is a child safe organization and conducts relevant checks as part of a volunteer screening.
National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.
Approximately 2-3 hours per weekGood for
- Skilled Volunteer
- Sport and Physical Activities