About this opportunity
A NFP in Liverpool seeks to assist young people of refugee background in their engagement with schooling in Australia. Many students have experienced a limited or disrupted education overseas, with some students having missed anywhere up to 5 years of schooling or more. Coupled with limited skills in English, it can often be difficult to 'catch up' and 'keep up' with the mainstream high school curriculum.
• Volunteers will assist with the running of the weekly program, supporting students with their homework and assignments across a range of subject areas
• Volunteer tutors may be required to work one on one or with a small group of students
• The Homework Program runs on Mondays from 3:30pm to 5:30pm throughout school terms
• Ability to support students across a range of subject areas (particularly physics, chemistry and biology)
• Familiarity with the Australian school curriculum
• Assertive, dynamic, flexible and creative in teaching approach
• Passion for teaching and learning
• Arabic and Persian/Farsi speakers are strongly encouraged to apply
• A current Working With Children Check
• Availability for minimum of one school term (8 weeks) is desirable
• Teaching experience is preferred but not essential
If this sounds like an opportunity for you, we would love to hear from you!
Working with Children Check *.
Monday afternoons during school terms, 3.30pm-5.30pmGood for
- Skilled Volunteer
- Youth/school volunteers (age 14-18)
- Education and Training
- Second Language
- Tutoring and Mentoring
Training, orientation and ongoing support provided