About this opportunity
We are looking for volunteers to mentor young people in our Community Connection Mentoring Program. The Community Connection Mentoring program is aimed at providing extended community support to young people involved in the Child Protection system, who reside in residential or home based care and are soon to be transitioning into independent living.
About the organisation Jesuit Social Services is a social change organisation working to build a just society where all people can live to their full potential. Since 1977, Jesuit Social Services has provided services to some of the most disadvantaged in our community. We place a high priority on advocacy and are a leader in policy development and research. Jesuit Social Services is a Child Safe organisation and is committed to protecting children and young people from harm. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to providing a family friendly working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion
About the program Brosnan Services (a branch of Jesuit Social Services) delivers the Community Connections Mentoring program. The Community Connections service offer is a key component of the Better Futures model and aims to build supportive networks, pathways and connections for young people in their communities. Community Connections Mentoring is one component of Community Connections and connects young people (15-20 years) who are leaving the statutory care and protective system with adult role models to support, guide and assist young people to transition more smoothly into community life and enhance pathways to education, training and employment opportunities
About the role
Key responsibilities for this role include:
- Engaging with their mentee on a weekly basis for 12 months supported period.
- Providing guidance, support, and encouragement to their mentee to move towards the mentee’s identified aspirations and desired goals.
- Participating in mentor/mentee reviews throughout the 12 months supported period.
- Maintaining regular contact with program staff.
- Participating in supervision and training opportunities.
- Complying with relevant legislation including Jesuit Social Services policies and procedures.
- Supporting program development through feedback and continuous improvement processes.
**Volunteer Requirements **
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Understanding and sympathy with the mission and ethos of Jesuit Social Services
- Commitment and ability to work effectively with disadvantaged young people, their families and the community
- Willingness to participate in 12 hours core training
- Commitment of 12 months to the mentoring program
- Capacity and willingness to work some weekends
- Valid Working with Children Check Card
Successful Interview and Police Check Conducted by Jesuit Social Services prior to commencement
National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.
1-2 hours per week (average), Time- flexibleType of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Counselling & Help Line
- Education & Training
- Tutoring & Coaching
Compulsory training dates TBA , Dandenong