About this opportunity
School for Life Foundation is seeking confident, reliable, sociable and self-motivated volunteers to assist in the smooth running of its Annual Gala Ball, to be held on the evening of Saturday, 4th of May, 2024 at the White Bay Cruise Terminal, Sydney. We are looking for volunteers (over 18 only) to fulfill the following roles:
- Table hosts/hostesses
- Raffle ticket sellers
- Welcome and guest check-in
- Champagne Bar Runners (RSA required)
Along with these roles, we will also require some admin assistance in the School for Life office in the lead up to the event, as well as assistance with set-up and pack down on the day/night of the event.
Our Ball is our biggest fundraiser of the year, raising $1.9M in 2023 and attracts a high profile audience which has grown to 700 guests in attendance.
It is a fun and fast-paced night and we are looking for volunteers with a can-do positive attitude, the propensity to smile, the ability to work well in a team environment and the flexibility to move across tasks quickly and efficiently.
- Event experience
- Hospitality front of house or retail experience
- Customer Service
- Cash handling and EFTPOS management
Overview of School for Life
School for Life Foundation (SFL) is an Australian non-profit organisation working in rural Uganda. We build holistic education models to empower developing communities to help themselves and create their own opportunities to break the cycle of poverty.
To date we have raised more than A$6 million and mobilised the support of thousands of people around the world who have helped us:
- Build three schools – two Primary Schools and one Secondary School;
- Educate over a thousand students annually with an intake of 1700 students in 2023;
- Employ more than 120 adults as managers, teachers, construction workers, cooks and support staff;
- Provide three nutritious meals a day for all our staff and students;
- Provide clean drinking water sources (tanks and boreholes) to two rural communities;
- Provide three health clinics with full-time nurses to treat students and staff, decreasing absenteeism and increasing overall health for the community;
- Build bio-digesters and solar electricity systems to increase our projects’ sustainability for the long-term; and
- Build sustainable businesses including a women’s tailoring program called KUMI which employs 15 women as tailors.
If making a tangible difference in the lives of others through the power of education inspires you and you are able to dedicate 8 hours of your time (Approx. times 4pm - 12am) on Saturday, May 4th, we’d love to hear from you!
If you have any questions please email [email protected]. Applications close Friday, March 31st 2024. Only successful applicants will be notified.
Covid-19 vaccination .
Please advise in your application if you hold a valid RSA.
Volunteers will need to attend a pre-event briefing (date TBA) and will be required for approximately 7 hours on the night. Final timing details will be advised closer to the event.Type of work
- Administration & Office Management
- Fundraising & Events
- Marketing, Media & Communications
We'll have a pre-event briefing on the different roles as well as an on the day briefing