About this opportunity
Mountain View Reserve is a 22-hectare reserve in the Penrith suburb of Cranebrook, providing terrific views of the adjacent remnant bushland and wetland areas of Penrith Lakes. The Reserve protects rare Cumberland Plain Woodland vegetation and the dense understorey provides ideal foraging and breeding habitat for small native birds, including the Double-barred Finch. The Reserve also protects the regions healthiest population of the Endangered (and very beautiful) Spiked-rice Flower (Pimelea spicata), whilst providing critical habitat to an abundance of other threatened species. With your help we can help protect these species from the impacts of weeds such as African Lovegrass and Bridal Creeper, and support the work of bushcare volunteers which have been revegetating the site since 2013. No experience is necessary for this event - bring yourself and a can-do attitude! Our friendly Project Officer is there to answer your questions and guide you along the way. This project is made possible with support from Penrith City Council and the NSW Environmental Trust.
Upcoming Events at this site:
- Saturday 30 April (Habitat Restoration)
- Saturday 25 June (Breakfast with the Birds)
- Saturday 29 October (Planting Day)
- Saturday 5 November (Nocturnal Safari) Please note event registration will be open until commencement.
A FEW THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- Registrations on our website are essential. We will send you a link with more information on how to register once you submit a SEEK volunteer application.
- You are required to make your own way to and from the worksite.
- No previous experience is required. We will provide you with all the know-how on site.
- We can provide you with a certificate of appreciation for coming along and helping out (this looks great on a resume!)
NOTE: Catering will be provided and current NSW Health Covid guidelines will apply.
Please wear sturdy shoes/boots, long pants, and long sleeve shirts. Hats, sunscreen, and water are a must. Also bring any personal medical equipment necessary e.g. ventolin, epipen, etc.
The event will commence onsite at 8am and finish at 12pm.Suitable for
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Travelling Volunteers
- Work Experience
- Education & Training
- Garden Maintenance
- Tour Guides, Information & Heritage
No prior experience necessary! Team Leaders will provide volunteers with safety inductions and training.