About this opportunity
The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre are advertising this role on behalf of Friends for Good.
Are you friendly and enjoy having a chat? We need you! As a volunteer, your role is to have a friendly chat with people who make contact on the telephone, talking about everyday topics. Loneliness has been linked to a range of physical and mental health concerns. Just talking to our wonderful volunteers for a short time helps our callers feel less lonely and makes it easier for them to cope. Note: this is not a crisis intervention or counselling service.
Volunteers will be provided support and training. You will answer incoming calls via a computer and have a friendly chat with people as well as completing simple data entry tasks online during your shift.
Some of the skills and qualities we are looking for:
- Excellent communication skills and emotional intelligence
- Previous volunteer experience is desirable but not necessary
- Experience or willingness to learn about community organisations
- Basic IT proficiency and a personal computer with a stable internet connection
- National Police record check (to be completed through Friends for Good)
- Adhere to and promote the values and mission of Friends for Good
- Commitment to volunteering
NOTE: This role requires a commitment of one shift per week for at least six months. Please do not apply for the role if you cannot commit to this as we use considerable resources to recruit and train volunteers. Our Melbourne office is open 10am- 5pm Monday to Thursday and 10am- 8.30pm Sat and Sun. We are currently seeking volunteers with availability to do a shift during that time.
Covid-19 vaccination . National Police Certificate *. Others .
A Police check will be completed by Friends for Good for new volunteers.
Time commitment The Melbourne office is open from 10am-5pm Monday to Thursday and 10am- 9pm on the weekends. We ask for a minimum commitment of one shift per week and can work the roster around your availability and preferences. We ask for a 6-month commitment from you.Suitable for
- Centrelink Volunteers
- People with disability
- Travelling Volunteers
- Wheelchair Access
- Companionship & Social Support
- Counselling & Help Line
- Seniors & Aged Care
You will be required to undergo training and service induction.