About this opportunity
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Support the leadership team with all major legal matters within the organisation including group structure, governance, finance, regulatory obligations, employment law and general commercial transactions.
- Liaising with key regulators in relation to matters relating to governance and probity, as well as providing advice and supporting other senior managers in relation to their regulatory interactions.
- Brief senior management on all material legal and regulatory matters.
- Develop and maintain core legal, governance and probity policies and procedures within the organisation.
- Support the leadership team to discharge duties to the Board and ensure all board functions are managed efficiently and effectively.
- Monitor changes in all relevant legislation and the regulatory environment and providing advice to the leadership team in relation to the same.
- Manage risk by maintaining awareness of, and responsiveness to, legal and regulatory, reputational and commercial factors and assessing their potential to impact on DCSS Australia' business.
- Liaise with HR with respect to performance management and policy.
- Draft and execute DCSS Australia's legal documentation such as confidentiality agreements and ensure all documentation is structured correctly and legally sound.
- Assist in the conducting of extensive due diligence reviews on corporate matters.
- Draft relevant forms for the use of audio and footage provided by the public and/or third parties.
- Assist with audits and auditors.
- Prepare advice, information, regular and ad hoc reports to provide analysis of issues and information to inform and to support effective decision making.
Skills, Qualification and Experience
- Tertiary qualification in law and holder of a current practising certificate (or ability to readily regain practising certificate)
- 4 - 8 years post admission experience
- Strong stakeholder engagement experience, business awareness and management skills
- Ability to communicate complex legal concepts and requirements, in layman terms to employees within DCSS Australia.
- Solid understanding of various not-for-profit legal issues and the ability to undertake research at a high level and ability to reason and use judgment and discretion
- Well-developed conceptual, analytical and problem-solving skills with sound and pragmatic judgement and decision making ability.
- Strong organisational and prioritising skills with excellent accuracy and attention to detail.
- Highly level confidentiality, sensitivity, discretion and absolute integrity.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills.
- Self‐motivated, flexible, pragmatic and precise.
- Ability to compile and interpret statistical data and communicate it in a professional and understandable manner.
Covid-19 vaccination . Driver's Licence (C) . National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.
Every application is based on merit, we have minimum standards which must be met by every candidate and position to work with our organisation.
1. Australian Citizenship/Permanent Resident;
2. Relevant Qualifications and Certificates/Registrations;
3. Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience within Australia;
4. Great communication and listening skills;
5. Ability to commit the required time for the position and be able to commit to a 12-month position (minimum);
6. Upon engagement, you will be required to have or obtain a Working with Children Check (WWCC) and a National Police Check (NPC), which is conducted alongside our partnered charity agency.
10+ hours per fortnight (negotiable).Suitable for
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Families with Children
- Online & Remote Volunteers
- People with disability
- Skilled Volunteers
- Governance, Boards & Committees
- Mediation & Advocacy
- Research, Policy & Analysis
- Tutoring & Coaching
Every volunteer in DCSS Australia will undertake the training free of charge: - Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO); - Council of Social Services (QCOSS); - Mandate Report Training, for both Victoria and New South Wales; - Others as required and or negotiated.Reimbursement