About this opportunity
Are you looking for an opportunity to apply your highly developed understanding of the emergency relief sector, empathy and understanding to serve disadvantaged people in your community? The Salvation Army Doorways program provides support to clients in urgent crisis. Assistance provided includes food vouchers, food parcels, budgeting assistance, NILS (interest-free loans) or help with paying bills. Clients are engaged Intensive ER, Casework or referred to Financial Counselling and other services where deeper issues are present.
The Salvation Army Community Support Service, Dandenong, VIC is seeking compassionate volunteers to help to provide immediate assistance to those experiencing hardship and crisis. This important role is ideal for those who are organised and confident in dealing with people, providing support and guidance in their time of significant need. You will have direct client contact through interview assessments and assisting clients within program resources.
This is an opportunity to be part of a great, positive, encouraging team, who genuinely care about one another and people in the community. In this role you have the opportunity to meet and assist people in our community who come from various ages, cultural backgrounds and experiences and gain experience in a frontline role, within a supportive work place.
There is reward in helping people in need and having gratitude expressed from people in the community and also from the team here at The Salvation Army. Support is provided in an informal and formal manner from both Team Leader and our supportive team.
Qualifications & Experience Requirements Of The Role
- Experience in community services/social work/finance support related roles and/or qualifications, great communication and computer skills, preferred but not essential
This role would be suitable for a student currently engaged in Tertiary studies in Social Work, Counseling, Youth Work or associated fields.
The successful candidate will be supported with induction and training to succeed in the role.
A role profile for this position is available upon request and will also be provided to the successful applicant during the interview process.
**IMPORTANT: We kindly request that you provide a brief outline of your relevant experience, as well as your availability in the application comments section. Due to limited resources, we can only respond to applicants who have provided this information.
Time Commitment The Centre operates on Monday to Friday - flexible hours from 8:30am - 3:3pm across these days. Please advise your availability in your response. This role is ongoing and as such a commitment of 6 months or more is desirable.
- Mandatory Requirements Of The Role
- Fully complete The Salvation Army's volunteer registration process
- Current Criminal History Check (Police Check), Working With Children Check and integrity checks as required
- Complete TSA induction modules and any other training as required (e.g. Child safe organisation induction)
- Will be expected to participate in ongoing training and professional development
National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.
The Centre operates on Tuesday and Wednesday- flexible hours from 9:30am - 2:30pm across these days. Please advise your availability in your response. This role is ongoing and as such a commitment of 6 months or more is desirable.Suitable for
- Skilled Volunteers
- Administration & Office Management
- Companionship & Social Support
- Counselling & Help Line
- Induction and orientation - Any relevant training will be provided on the job in the delivery of emergency relief (No Interest Loan Scheme training),