About this opportunity
Join one of inner Sydney's latest conservation projects. This community project is rehabilitating an endangered bushland community called Eastern Suburbs Banksia Scrub. It once covered a vast area of 5300 hectares in the Sydney Basin. However, today it is a critically endangered vegetation community as less than 127 hectares remains. Centennial Parklands is one of the few areas where this unique vegetation remains and we need your help to ensure its flourishes into the future.
Volunteers are required to:
- Complete registration & induction and commit to regularly attending,
- Understand the goals and objectives of the overall project,
- Work positively and cooperatively within a diverse group,
- At times work unsupervised and as part of a team depending upon the task
What do volunteers need?
- On the day you will need preferably long sleeves and long trousers, sturdy enclosed shoes, wide-brimmed hat, water and sunscreen.
- No experience is necessary.
- Good physical fitness is also required – rehabilitation can be hard work.
- Be 18+ years of age.
- All tasks are completed in accordance with COVID safe practices.
What to expect
- This hands-on conservation project involves Bushcare like tasks, such as: removing invasive species, planting, installation of tree guards and important follow up maintenance such as watering.
- We supply onsite training, all the tools, gloves and morning tea.
Benefits: It's a fantastic way to connect and socialise with like-minded people and the environment
- Improving your health and wellbeing by getting active in the outdoors,
- It's a practical way to improve the natural environment,
- Learning new skills and improving knowledge in native and exotic plant identification and control methods, which may well come in handy in your own garden,
Reasonable fitness and able to bend and carry watering can
9am - 12noon every second & fourth Thursday of each monthType of work
- Garden Maintenance
- Sport & Physical Activity
onsite hands on training during volunteer sessions