About this opportunity
The volunteer Gardening Team Member role exists to develop and maintain the gardens with the purpose of planting and harvesting in a way that ensures that the gardens are kept productive, safe and tidy.
Key Tasks Key Activities & Expectations:
**Garden Maintenance **
- Weeding, mulching, planting and watering.
- Mowing of lawns, pruning, shaping, fertilizing, moving and rotation to keep garden productive and in good order.
- Harvesting fruit, vegetables, herbs etc.
- Maintain compost systems and worm farms.
- Building garden beds, paths and other garden features.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Understand and use required PPE (personal protective equipment) when working in the garden and surrounds.
- Check PPE is in good order and report issues or concerns to supervisor.
Equipment Use & Maintenance
- Safe use of hand tools (shovel, spade, rake, trowel, hammer, hose and reel etc.).
- Safe use of mechanical equipment (blower vac, lawn mower, drill, circular saw etc.).
- Clean, store and care for equipment so that it is easy to access and remains in good condition.
- Check equipment is in good order before use and report any issues or concerns to line manager.
Give Feedback & Suggest Ideas
- Attend team meetings on request.
Consult & Improve
- Respond to feedback and direction from Program Leader and put it into action.
- Other duties as requested.
Maintain A Safe & Healthy Environment
- Immediately report any health and safety concerns, notifiable incidents and near misses, to Senior Team Leader and ensure any hazards are controlled until rectified.
- Ensure hazard, incident and accident form is completed when required in a timely manner.
- All volunteers are to be mindful of their own health and to take care of the health and safety of others. Volunteers are required to comply with all TSA work, health and safety policies and procedures as applicable to their workplace.
- Reliable, fit, active and self-motivated team player - a reasonable level of fitness is an inherent requirement of this role. Some heavy lifting may be required.
- Ability to work with minimal direct supervision and follow instruction.
- Supports TSA values by contributing to good site culture and representing the organisation in a positive way.
- Respect for organisation and personal property and the beliefs of others.
- Commitment to safety, confidentiality and to working within role boundaries.
- Commitment to following TSA policies, procedures and code of conduct.
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience in gardening is preferred but not essential.
Required For The Position
- Complete The Salvation Army (TSA) Mission Volunteer registration, induction and training - TSA is a ChildSafe workplace.
- Integrity Checks as required for the role - National Police Check. TSA is a ChildSafe organisation.
Roster & Time Commitment
- As agreed with the Manager.
- Please advise your availability in your expression of interest.
A role profile for this position is available upon request and will also be provided to the successful applicant during the interview process.
Heavy Lifting . National Police Certificate *.
As agreed with the Manager.Suitable for
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Skilled Volunteers
- Garden Maintenance
- Trades & Maintenance
TSA orientation and induction provided.