About this opportunity
In 2021 the Australian Masters Games (AMG) heads to Perth, Western Australia from Saturday 9 to Saturday 16 October 2021.
The AMG is one of the largest multi-sport events in Australia and has become well known for its festival style atmosphere that incorporates expansive sporting and social programs.
With an anticipated sport program of around 50 sports, the Games will aim to attract between 6,000 and 8,000 participants and approximately 2,000 accompanying persons.
We are looking for volunteer Journalists to assist the Media and Marketing team to identify, collect and create exciting stories about AMG 2021 for distribution to media outlets.
As a volunteer Journalist you will be:
- Liaising with the Media Centre Manager to identify daily article priorities
- Performing face-to-face interviews with Games participants and workforce in and around various Games venues
- Writing interesting and newsworthy media releases and feature stories for distribution
- Capturing short video and photos using mobile phone for social media
- Developing Games participant profiles, media kits and articles for various print media
- Liaising with Games Photographers to capture images for specific Games articles and stories
We are looking for volunteers who have:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and experience in journalism and article writing
- Skills and experience in preparing media material
- A good understanding of local and national media outlets
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge and experience of social media content gathering and writing
For more information on each of the available roles please visit the volunteer section of the Australian Masters Games website.
Successful volunteers will receive:
- A volunteer uniform including a polo shirt, cap, drink bottle and bag
- An official 2021 AMG accreditation pass
- An invitation to our volunteer appreciation event after the Games
- Meals and refreshments for shifts 5 hours or longer in duration
- Valuable behind the scenes experience at a major sport event
- Exclusive competitions and giveaways
- New memories, friendship and FUN!
Successful volunteers will be required to:
- Be available for at least 3 shifts during the Games period (7-16 October 2021)
- Be over 18 years old as of 1 October 2021 (Pre-approved sport volunteers under the age of 18 may be accepted on a case-by-case basis)
- Apply online before the closing date (16 May 2021)
- Complete a phone interview in May/June 2021 (Pre-approved volunteers from specific sports will not be required to complete an interview)
- Complete training in September/October 2021 – training will differ between volunteer roles and may include online and in person training sessions
- Have the ability to cover all travel and accommodation costs
- Willing to undergo a security background check
- Have read and consent to the Volunteer Code of Conduct (this is available to view during the application process)
Whether you are a seasoned volunteer or looking to try something new we want you to join our team!
Express you interest here via Seek or visit our website to complete our application form.
If you have any questions at all, please contact the Workforce Coordinator at [email protected] or 08 6146 3255 (9am-5pm AWST)
Successful volunteers will need to be available for at least 3 shifts during the Games period (7-16 October 2021). Shifts are between 5 and 8 hours long. Volunteers will also need to complete a phone interview and complete training (online and in person)Suitable for
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Skilled Volunteers
- Work Experience
- Marketing, Media & Communications
- Sport & Physical Activity
- Writing & Editing
Full training will be provided for all roles. This will include a combination of online and in person training