About this opportunity
Dr. James Hansen, NASA Climate Scientist (1967 – 2013) and Advisor to the White House (1988 – 2007):
“Most impressive is the work of the Citizens' Climate Lobby, a relatively new, fast growing, non-partisan, non-profit group. If you want to join the fight to save the planet, to save creation for your grandchildren, there is no more effective step you could take than becoming an active member of this group.”
WHO WE ARE: Citizens' Climate Lobby Australia is a grassroots education and advocacy organisation focused on accelerating solutions to climate change through democracy.
As a non-partisan and volunteer-driven organisation, we have local groups across the country that write to, meet and talk with politicians, citizens, community leaders, business leaders and media from across the political spectrum.
We work towards the adoption of fair, effective, and sustainable solutions that will reduce greenhouse gas emissions as well as drive the transition towards a clean energy future for Australia.
What We Do
- LOBBYING: We realise that if we are to effectively reduce emissions in Australia and accelerate the transition to a zero carbon economy, there needs to be government policy in place. Government incentives play a vital role in the progress of change, and we want to do all we can to ensure effective climate policy is implemented. That’s why we engage ourselves in the political process and build relationships with politicians at Federal, State and Local level from every political party.
- MEDIA: Media coverage deeply influences public opinion and public understanding of the urgency and extent of climate change, and also effective policies that will be accepted and embraced by the public. The power and influence of media on democracy and the public perception of climate change in Australia is incredibly important. That’s why we are active and involved in a variety of media, as well as utilise media to increase CCL’s exposure, build a media presence and build relationships with members of the media.
- GRASSROOTS: Democracy at its heart starts with the will of the people – politicians don’t create political will, they respond to it. Engaging with and talking to the public about climate change issues and solutions is a vital step in bringing us closer to the social tipping point of climate change, where a majority of voters understand the severity of the climate crisis. Therefore through grassroots outreach events we seek to educate and engage with citizens about climate change and CCL to communicate and generate political will.
- GRASSTOPS: Non-government entities are also important players in progressing positive change on the climate, such as business and industry leaders, as well as community and faith leaders. Businesses can lead the way on addressing climate change in the absence of government legislation by reducing their carbon footprint and greenhouse gas emissions, as well as looking at supply chains and downstream emissions. Our volunteers engage with and look to gain the support of community, business, and industry leaders.
- GROUPS: CCL Australia believes that local action can lead to national results, therefore a big part of what we do is meet up with like-minded individuals in our local area to discuss climate change issues and then plan effective action. When you join CCL Australia, you are placed into a CCL Group based on the Federal House of Representatives electorate for your state or territory.
Our core values
- Non-partisan: Our organisation is open to all who are serious about climate change. We work with MPs and leaders from across the political spectrum because we believe that everyone is a potential ally.
- Focus: So we can be effective, we don’t get distracted by work that does not support our core purpose. After we accomplish our goal, we will tackle the next most impactful solution.
- Relationships: We take the most generous approach to other people as possible — appreciation, gratitude, and respect. We listen and we work to find common values. Our approach is to build consensus — that’s what will bring enduring change.
- Optimism: We believe that people are good, and that democracy works. We are confident in this approach because we see progress. Together, we are a community of volunteers that offer each other comfort, support and fun as we work.
- Integrity: We are prepared and do our research. We are always on time for meetings. Our approach is thoughtful and thorough. We consult experts and utilise data.
- Personal Power: We use our voices to be heard. This simple act transforms us from spectators to engaged citizens, and it reveals the true nature of democracy to us.
- Diversity: We empower everyone in exercising their personal and political power regardless of race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, ability or political affiliation.
Whilst this role is flexible, we are looking for volunteers who can commit to the role beyond 6 months, and preferably a reasonable amount of time to dedicate (at least 5 hours/week). We are a passionate and ambitious organisation, and we're confident you'll be able to make a difference with us.Suitable for
- Families with Children
- Groups of 10 or more
- Online & Remote Volunteers
- People Learning English
- People with disability
- Skilled Volunteers
- Wheelchair Access
- Administration & Office Management
- Arts, Craft & Photography
- Education & Training
- Fundraising & Events
- Governance, Boards & Committees
- Marketing, Media & Communications
- Writing & Editing
Citizens' Climate Lobby Australia is an educational and advocacy organisation. We train, educate and provide the tools for our volunteers to become effective advocates for climate action.