About this opportunity
Katu Katu Inc is a not for profit organisation established by a small group of passionate and caring leaders and entrepreneurs. The word Katu Katu means to rise and higher ground in the western desert Aboriginal dialect, Warlpiri language. It is a positive word which is comparative to ‘glass half full’ in English.
At Katu Katu, we work to raise awareness of complex mental health issues. We provide a safe and serene environment for people to disconnect from the stresses of everyday urban life, to share and learn in the natural Australian landscape. The home of Katu Katu Inc is located in the heartland of the famous Yarra Ranges, where we take advantage of the safe and nourishing bushland to organise our workshops. Our programs draw knowledge from the rich and various historic Indigenous cultures from around Australia, native foods, contemporary art, ancient and modern farming practises are all part of the learning and healing process incorporate into our program.
Your Key Contributions
- Learn to nurture/take care of a variety of native plants on the farm.
- Help with day-to-day farm work, such as regular duties, lawn mowing, watering, tidying paths, weeding, repairs and maintenances
- Some digging and planting may be required
- Garden tools and equipment supplied by Katu Katu Inc
- Passionate about outdoor and gardening
- Experience in the safe use of garden tools
- Experience in the safe use of ride-on lawnmower and hand lawnmower
- The ability to work safely with limited supervision
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Groups of 10 or more
- People Learning English
- People with disability
- Skilled Volunteers
- Travelling Volunteers
- Work Experience
- Younger volunteers, aged 14-18
- Garden Maintenance
- Trades & Maintenance