About this opportunity
On My Feet transforms lives. We are a distinctly Australian organisation which uses education and exercise to support homeless individuals. On My Feet helps them to discover their inner champion by building self-respect, a sense of purpose and ultimately self-sufficiency.
The Walking Group Volunteer will assist with the basic functions of the group – to meet, exercise and engage with participants at each session. The group meets on Monday mornings at 8.30/9.00am (depending on the season) in Fremantle. Walking group volunteers are required to attend weekly however special consideration may be granted, at the discretion of the Coordinator, to those with unusual availabilities. You will engage with the participants through positive dialogue and by assisting them through the session. It’s all about making the participants feel heard, welcomed, and safe, so they wish to continue to attend. Importantly, you will be there to keep participants on track with their development and training.
In your position as a Walking Group Volunteer you will:
• Attend weekly with the aim to maintain a consistent roster/appearance schedule; • Encourage all members to actively participate and try their best; • Act as a soundboard for the participants – it is important that the participants feel like they have someone who cares about them and their concerns; and • Follow the instructions of and communicate with the Lead Volunteer.
If this role sounds like you, we'd love to hear from you - please click the 'Apply' or 'Express Interest' button below.
The successful applicant will have/be:
• Strong communication skills - written and verbal;
• Reliable and trustworthy;
• Friendly and open-minded;
• A passion for helping those at risk of, or dealing with, homelessness;
• The ability to commit to attending on a weekly basis.
1.5 hours per weekType of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Education & Training
- Sport & Physical Activity