About this opportunity
Would you like to help children read?
Reading Together Mentor STeP123 Literacy Volunteers volunteers will be part of the school community in Huon Valley - Huonville, Cygnet and Dover in Tasmania. Working with identified children, the volunteer will assist the children to improve their literacy skills through reading together.
The volunteer will actively engage with identified vulnerable primary school children to help improve their literacy skills through reading together.
The role will develop positive and constructive relationships in order to encourage improvement of the children’s reading, comprehension, vocabulary and oral language skills.The Reading Together Mentor STeP123 Literacy Volunteers' role will provide supplementary educational support for young children who are developmentally at risk.
This role will play a vital role in the children’s lives by enhancing their engagement with an encouraging learning environment and by building positive relationships in the local community.
As the goal of the program is to create meaningful relationships with the children in their learning environment, we request a minimum six month commitment from volunteers.
Mandatory Requirements Of The Role
- Complete The Salvation Army's (TSA) volunteer registration process
- Integrity Checks (WWCC) will be required
- Complete TSA mandatory training and induction modules, and any other training as required
- The Salvation Army is a Childsafe workplace and there is a requirement to monitor and report any potential health and safety concerns promptly to the site manager
Roster & Time Commitment
- One to two hours per week is required on a weekly, regular basis
- Please advise your availability in your expression of interest
Working with Children Check *.
Various shifts available 1 – 2 hours per weekType of work
- Education & Training
Orientation and induction provided