About this opportunity
#SeaToSource is an initiative powered by Conservation Volunteers Australia, supporting everyday people to take action on one of the world’s most solvable environmental issues – ocean litter.
We’re committed to reducing the amount of plastic litter entering our creeks, rivers and oceans and reducing harm to the animals that call these places home. Plastic is around 60-95% of the litter in our waterways and oceans, and causes a wide range of issues in these environments.
We will be working along 8 major waterways around Australia to tackle ocean litter. In TAS, our focus is on the Tamar Estuary, Derwent River and their surrounding catchments.
As part of the day, you will be involved in a community clean up to reduce litter within the catchment. Working by the tranquil banks or beautiful beaches of the Tamar Estuary, you will spend the day removing litter and improving the environment for the river's inhabitants. After the clean up, we will spend some time collecting data about the litter collected. We will do this so that we can learn more about the types of litter found on our river (and most importantly, how we can stop these items from entering our waterways to begin with!)
We will be running clean ups along the Derwent River on a monthly basis. Contact [email protected] for more information.
So come along and help us to remove ocean litter from the sea, all the way back to the source!
A FEW THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- Registrations are essential. We will send more information on how to register once you submit a SEEK volunteer application.
- You are required to make your own way to and from the worksite.
- No previous experience is required. We will provide you with all the know-how on site.
- We can provide you with a certificate of appreciation for coming along and helping out (this looks great on a resume!)
- All volunteers will be required to answer a COVID-19 questionnaire prior to participating.
This project received grant funding from the Australian Government.
- Families with Children
- Groups of 10 or more
- People Learning English
- Travelling Volunteers
No prior experience necessary! Team Leaders will provide volunteers with safety inductions and training.