About this opportunity
Tasks Include -
- Offer an inviting welcome to visitors to the Museum.
- Engage and lead individuals or groups through the Museum and respond to questions that are raised.
- Be comfortable speaking to small and large groups.
- Use knowledge of the local area to provide information and facts on exhibits.
- Ability to work with reception staff and liaise with Museum Manager on a day-to-day basis.
- Actively look for ways to help visitors who are present in Museum.
- Continually be aware and keep informed about changes to Exhibits.
- Monitor visitors’ activities to ensure compliance with Workplace, Health & Safety regulations.
National Police Certificate *.
1. Must have a friendly, outgoing, proactive attitude.
2. Confidence to lead groups of all ages and backgrounds through the Museum.
3. Must have good verbal communication skills to deal politely and effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
4. Computer literate and be able to readily access emails.
5. Be an effective team player, willing to take direction.
6. Able to work well under pressure, be self-motivating with a proactive approach.
7. Must have excellent time management skills.
8. Must be interested and capable of learning about the Museum exhibits.
9. Must be responsible, honest, punctual and reliable.
10. Knowledge of local area.
11. Must be physically able to lead visitors through the Museum.
Desirable but not essential
12. Second language
We require volunteers for one day per week for 5 hours and the days are flexible.Suitable for
- Centrelink Volunteers
- Skilled Volunteers
- Wheelchair Access
- Younger volunteers, aged 14-18
- Tour Guides, Information & Heritage
On the job – 8 week training course and learning the history of Cairns