About this opportunity
Summary of the program: Multicultural Youth South Australia provides regular weekly homework support to students from migrant and refugee backgrounds. Students attending homework club requires assistance in a range of subject areas, including Math, English, Science, research and essay writing. Tutors are required to provide one-on-one tutoring to students in specific subject.
- Provide educational assistance to students with their homework and assignments
- Attend Homework Club session on a regular basis and inform coordinators if unable to attend
- Tutors are expected to be patient, caring and good listeners
The following are desirable but not essential:
- Formal Qualifications and previous experience in tutoring
- Any relevant knowledge, skills and experience working with culturally and linguistically diverse people is advantageous
- Competency in tutoring students whose first language is not English.
- Commitment to volunteer for 6 month
- Understanding and valuing of diversity
Must have DCSI and National Police Certificate. If you do not have one, MYSA can assist you to get one.
* During the Covid-19 pandemics, organisations should be providing all necessary Covid-19 safety protection measures for volunteers following the advice of both the Sate or Territory Governments and the Federal Government. Your safety and wellbeing is your priority. Familiarise yourself with the most up-to-date requirements and advice from the Australian and NT and SA State Governments.
* As each organisation provides different levels/types of insurance, volunteers are reminded to check with the organisation as to the type of insurance provided for volunteers (e.g. Volunteer Personal Accident Insurance).
* Best practice volunteer involvement recommends that a volunteer role should not be more than 15-16 hours per week.
- Skilled Volunteers
- Work Experience
- Education & Training
- Tutoring & Coaching