About this opportunity
The program aims to; • Support children of CALD backgrounds to develop their literacy capacity; • Prevent at-risk children from falling behind the standard curriculum level; • Enhance the confidence of children; and • Encourage children to have a positive attitude towards learning and schooling.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: • Work with and supervise one or two allocated students to develop their literacy, numeracy and study skills. Support group activities. • Maintain records of tutorial sessions and monitor student progress over time. • Participate in relevant training. • Advise the Homework Club Coordinator of any difficulties or issues that arise during your contact with the young person/s.
National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.
1. Advanced English literacy and numeracy skills
2. An understanding of issues that may affect the learning of primary school students from a refugee and multicultural background
3. Able to volunteer each Wednesday from 3.15pm to 6pm during the school term, for a minimum of 6 consecutive months
4. Effective communication and listening skills in a cross-cultural context
5. Tutoring and teaching experience is welcome
6. Reliability, flexibility and patience
7. Ability and willingness to work both as part of a team and independently
8. Ability to relate well to a wide range of adult volunteers
9. Maintains confidentially and follows child safety protocols
3.15pm to 6pm on Wednesdays. Includes Homework Club session, preparation and debrief.Suitable for
- Skilled Volunteers
- Work Experience
- Education & Training
- Tutoring & Coaching
- Writing & Editing
Compulsory once a term