About this opportunity
Specifically the position is required to:
- Ensure that HikeWest’s strategic plan is implemented through a Board-approved operational plan;
- Manage the organisation according to good organisational management practices;
- Establish effective working groups of keen, contributing volunteers;
- Drive the promotion of bushwalking/hiking in WA proactively to ensure community engagement and support, including via the WA Hiking Expo, to be delivered by HikeWest in May 2021;
- Pursue new opportunities to improve quality and diversity of bushwalking in WA;
- Grow the membership base of HikeWest through marketing and through demonstrated value to its members and other stakeholders;
- Build an effective sphere of influence for HikeWest through strong partnerships and recognition and respect for HikeWest as peak body from members, sponsors, other stakeholders;
- Grow significant non-member funding and ‘in kind’ support via sponsorships and other possible sources to ensure financial sustainability and growth of HikeWest operations.
The EO should preferably have both:
- organisational management experience, and
- some existing knowledge of matters relevant to bushwalkers and hiking / bushwalking organisations
Key skills & attributes
- Leadership: able to motivate others and drive the strategic and operational plans
- Diplomacy: able to amicably work toward constructive solutions
- Communication: media-savvy, responsive, able to build positive relationships; extend HikeWest's network
- Management: admin. & governance skills, organised, and disciplined
- Ethics: professional, open and accountable
- Qualities: passion & commitment
The Board at its discretion may provide a small reimbursement to cover approved costs.
The overriding qualities are enthusiasm and commitment.
Several hours per week. Requires commitment.Suitable for
- Skilled Volunteers
- Administration & Office Management
- Fundraising & Events
- Governance, Boards & Committees
- Marketing, Media & Communications
- Sport & Physical Activity
Current President (& Acting Executive Officer) is happy to assist with mentoring and shared duties over a very flexible extended handover period (a few months to a year) or shorter, depending mainly on appointee's prior experience and preference.Reimbursement
HikeWest's Expenses Policy provides for reimbursement of reasonable, pre-approved expenses incurred while carrying out HikeWest business.