About TRY Mentoring
If you can be a friend, you can be a Mentor!
TRY Mentoring is founded on the knowledge that having the support and guidance of a mentor can encourage young people to recognise their strengths and develop their own personal attributes
TRY Mentoring currently runs one-to-one mentoring programs in the West, Frankston and Mornington Peninsula regions. The program caters for young people from 7 – 20 years old, who are often lacking a positive role model in their lives.
The minimum age for a volunteer mentor is 20 years and preferably with a drivers licence. The time requirements of the program is 1 - 4 hours, 3 to 4 times a month for a 12 month period. On what days and times you meet up is completely flexible.
Community One-to-One Mentoring Program
The one-to-one program provides young people aged 7-20 years with a caring adult mentor, to provide additional adult support, someone to confide in and look up to. Someone who can be both a positive role model and supportive friend. Mentors commit to spending 1-4 hours a week, with their mentee, for 12 months.
Mentors come from all walks of life with a wide variety of interests and experiences, no formal qualifications are required. Any training required will be provided as part of screening. Mentors should reside in or close to the Western Suburbs, Frankston or the Mornington Peninsula. It is preferable that Mentors have resided in Australia for a minimum of 2 years.
The young person gains:
(1) The opportunity to develop a significant friendship with an older mentor
(2) A positive and safe environment to promote personal growth and good self esteem
(3) The opportunity to participate in a variety of different activities to grow socially and emotionally
(4) Care by professional staff and trained people who model positive, responsible behaviour
Successful applicants will:
(1) Be able to participate in volunteer training on relevant topics and policies
(2) Be fully supported by a TRY Mentoring Coordinator for the duration of the match
(3) Be able to participate in a wide range of group activities with other matches
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting disruption to businesses and services we have reluctantly made the decision to focus our recruitment of new volunteers, to the Western, Inner City and Frankston/ Mornington Peninsula regions. These local government areas are Wyndham, Hobsons Bay, Brimbank, Melton, Maribyrnong, Moonee Valley, City of Melbourne, Yarra , Stonnington, Port Phillip, Glen Eira, Bayside and Frankston and the Mornington Peninsula.
1-4 hours a week for 12 months
Background Checks Required
A Police Check and Working with Children Check will be lodged as part of your volunteer assessment. A Drivers License is also preferable
For further information please email your expression of interest, including your name and suburb of residence to [email protected], or phone 0407198579
Building 2, 1st Floor, 88 Ricketts Road
Mount Waverley VIC 3149