About National Trust of Australia (Tasmania)
The National Trust Tasmania is a non-government member based community organisation which works to identify and conserve Tasmania’s heritage for present and future generations to enjoy.
The Trust has been operating in Tasmania since 1960 and was formed to acquire The Hollies (Franklin House) a fine late Georgian house built in 1838 on the outskirts of Launceston.
Since then a number of significant heritage properties throughout the state now belong to the Tasmanian community and are open to the public.
In December 2006 following a period of administration and restructure a new National Trust Act was proclaimed by the Tasmanian Government. The Trust also administer the 'Tench', the Penitentiary Chapel in Hobart. The 'Tench', as it was known by its inhabitants, was the convict Prisoners’ Barracks for Hobart Town. It originally spanned over two acres and some 50,000 male convicts passed through the complex.
413 Hobart Road
Youngtown TAS 7249