About this opportunity
Partnering with eight remote Northern Territory Schools, NASCA's NT Program is delivered by skilled volunteers and staff for one week four times per year. In addition to in-class support the program delivers over 700 hours of sport, health, mentoring and personal development activities. We aim to increase school attendance/retention, improve students’ attitudes towards school, promote positive learning experiences and improve teamwork, communication and leadership skills.
The Volunteer Role:
Designed as a cultural exchange and immersion experience for volunteers, our program features a balance between your development in working in a remote Aboriginal community and utilising your expertise to deliver NASCA’s program. The program is open to volunteers nationally.
Working for a week (August 19th - 26th) with young people in the Northern Territory, volunteers:
- provide daily assistance in a remote classroom.
- assist in the delivery of targeted vocational learning
- participate in sport and physical education
- work after school to deliver recreational and life skills
- participate in cultural and community activities.
Who we are looking for:
We welcome people from all professional backgrounds to apply, in particular we look for individuals who meet the following criteria.
• Individuals who model healthy life choices and success.
• Indigenous and non-Indigenous participants.
• Demonstrated interest in or knowledge of issues facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people.
• Experience in sport, education and community development.
• Experience working with young people.
• People willing to get involved and fully participate in activities.
• Individuals passionate and willing to fundraise for NASCA.
• Skills to contribute to some of the following program areas: Promoting good diet - Exercise - Self-esteem - Connection to Land and Culture - Education - Vocational Education - Creative Arts - Sports
• Willingness to take the full week’s leave from their position – there is no access to work time or facilities during the program.
There is a formal application process required to participate in this program contact NASCA or visit our website for more information.
Please note NASCA's NT program requires interested volunteers to complete an application process including a completed application form, telephone interview, reference checks and AFP/ WWCC checks. Contact NASCA or visit our website for more information.
Successful Volunteers will spend one full week in a remote NT Central Desert Community August 19th - 26th. They will also attend a compulsory induction day in Sydney on August 12th.Interested in
- Art, Craft and Photography
- Education and Training
- Music and Entertainment
- Sport and Physical Activities
- Tutoring and Mentoring
Volunteers undertake a training day in Redfern on the 11th of March, with further development pre-departure to community in Alice Springs. We facilitate cultural context training and provide a certificate on completion for eligible particpants