About this opportunity
Volunteers are needed to assist in the Australian Workplace Culture Course for participants of the Syrian and Iraqi Refugee Program. This program is in response to the government’s announcement to accept 12 000 refugees and aims to address current gaps and barriers for refugees. It is solely focused on employment and ways to assist refugees navigate through the Australian workplace and gain meaningful employment.
Volunteers will assist facilitators and subject experts by helping participants complete workshop/class exercises, work with them ideally on a one-on-one basis and provide on-going support. This mentoring role is pivotal to the success of the program and the enriching of participants. As such, the ideal volunteer will have high fluency in English, ideally speak Arabic (desired not necessary), compassionate and committed. There will be training provided and ongoing support for all volunteers.
Location: Fairfield High School (Fairfield Parent's Cafe)
Time: 10am - 12pm
• Punctual and reliable
• Compassionate and empathetic
• Strong communication skills; fluent in English
• Arabic speaking (highly desired, not necessary) +
• Basic understanding of (or willingness to learn) Australian workplace rights and obligations
• A sincere commitment to see the volunteer role through
• Responsive to the needs of The Salvation Army and participants
• A respect and willingness to work within the ethos of The Salvation Army
National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.